ALLA Life Membership Award
Life Membership of ALLA Ltd
In 2014 the ALLA Ltd Board began awarding life memberships annually at the national level for law librarians who have retired from full-time work and have made a significant contribution to the Association and profession. This award provides ongoing gratis ALLA membership.
See below the nomination form and list of Life Membership recipients.
Nominees for ALLA Life Membership are eligible to be nominated once they retire from fulltime work. They are nominated by ALLA Divisions, and appointed at the discretion of the ALLA Board. In exercising its discretion, the Board will take into account the following criteria:
- Substantial and ongoing contribution to Australian law librarianship at state or national levels, subcommittees or conferences.
- Substantial and ongoing promotion of the Australian Law Librarians’ Association.
- A statement from the Divisional President in support of the application (1000 words minimum and of a standard to be published in the Australian Law Librarian after the announcement of the Life Membership).
- Nomination by two ALLA members of the relevant Division in support of the nominee.
Application process for the nomination of a life member:
- Completion of the nomination form with details and signatures of nominating divisional members.
- List of achievements plus statement from Divisional President submitted via the application form.
- Form submitted to ALLA Board Secretary.
- ALLA Board approves/disapproves nomination at the Board meeting.
- The Board will seek acceptance of the nominee prior to announcing the appointment by way of the ALL Journal.
- A statement of achievement (by the Divisional President or ALLA Board President) will be published in the Australian Law Librarian after the announcement.
Guidelines for Life Membership of ALLA Ltd
From the Constitution:
“Life Member” means a person appointed to be a Life Member by the Directors, and who is recorded as a Life Member in the Register. There are no membership fees for Life Members. Life Members have voting rights and can be nominated for a Director position.
'Member' includes 'Life Member'.
The process for applying for membership is the following:
"Every person seeking admission to Membership of the Company must:
(i) sign a written application addressed to the Secretary, in the form prescribed by the Board;
(ii) specify the class of Membership sought and such other particulars as the Board may either generally or, in a particular case"
- To be printed in colour
- Certificate quality paper
ALLA will fund costs associated with the printing and distribution of the certificate.
There is no cost to the nominee on appointment as a life member and the life member shall not be charged annual membership fees. Once accepted, the Life Member will be required to renew each year to ensure that records are kept up to date.
The decision of the panel will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
To nominate someone for Life Membership, complete the online form below. It will be sent to the ALLA National Secretary.
Questions: contact the ALLA National Secretary, email@example.com
ALLA Ltd Life Membership Recipients
- 2020 - Frieda Evans (NT)
- 2019 - Petal Kinder (ACT; awarded posthumously as a Lifetime Achievement Award)
- 2018 - Ruth Bird (VIC)
- 2017 - No nominations
- 2016 - Carolyn Kearney (NSW)
- 2015 - No nominations
- 2014 - James Butler (VIC) & Rosemary Nicholson (ACT)